Soup of the Day with home-made wheaten bread £4.50
Chef’s own Chicken Liver Pate with Cumberland Sauce and Toast £5.50
Fresh Sandwiches - Cheese & Ham, Tuna & Onion, Chicken and Mayo, Salad £4.75
Toasted Sandwiches - Cheese & Tomato, Ham & Cheese £5.75
Club Sandwich - bacon, chicken, lettuce tomato, mayonnaise £6.75
Golfer’s Fry - fried egg, bacon, sausage chips and coleslaw £6.75
Prawn open sandwich £8.75
Brown Trout Burger* - 2x3oz with bacon, cheese, onions, pepper sauce £10.75
Homemade Lasagne* £10.25
Brown Trout Famous Fish and Chips £12.75
Chicken Goujons with choice of Dip* - Barbecue, garlic mayonnaise, sweet chilli £11.75
Baked Gammon* with pineapple £11.25
*Dishes include side-order
We are allergy aware so if you have any concerns about the ingredients we use please ask for more detailed information

The Brown Trout – A History of Sorts

Laurel Bank was a farm, a tiny bar and a blacksmith forge. The McAleese family rented it from a London city company, The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers who were granted the property at the time of the ‘Plantation of Ulster’ in 1607.

The McAleeses have been around here for a long time but the first record we had was a rent receipt from James McAleese dated 1817. When the Land Reform Act was passed near the end of the 19th century James McAleese and his sister Annie were the first tenants to purchase their freehold. Their liquor licence at this time passed into the name of their cousin Annie O’Hara whose maiden name was Dempsey.

The Head of the Dempseys, Viscount Clanmaliere, lost his lands in Laoglaise/Offaly, following the treaty of Limerick and the Williamite confiscation in 1702-03. The family fled north and settled in Coldagh, just across the Bann near Ballymoney. Annie McAleese left the property to her cousin Cissie O’Hara who in turn passed it on to her nephew, Bill O’Hara, whose son, another Bill is the present owner.

Over the years the land was used for mixed farming, there was a flax dam down by the 7th fairway, the McAleese function room was the milking parlour and dairy, the restaurant was the threshing barn and the ladies changing room was were the calves were kept. During the war the Air Force built an aerodrome across the river and used it to repair and update bombers. Several gun emplacements were built on our land, one at the back of the 3rd green and another on the lane near the 8th green. Many of the airmen used the bar as their local. Naturally in those days, ladies were not permitted to drink on the premises, water was collected from a well across the river, there was no electricity, only oil lamps and candles, and there being no toilets the customers used the farmyard. All that changed in 1961.

Bill senior planted the forest, started the restaurant and hotel business and with the help of his wife Anne designed and built the golf course. He also adapted the old farm buildings and added to them when the original building was destroyed by a terrorist bomb. Bill junior added the new bedrooms, rebuilt the kitchen, created the golfers changing rooms and revamped and extended the bar and residents lounge. Jane, Bill’s sister returned from the London Tara Hotel to institute a programme of staff training and to carry on the family tradition of hospitality.